Self publishing technology has provided a wealth of opportunities for entrepreneurs like you and I to finally write the kind of books we have always wanted to see. However learning how to do that is not always easy. Why? Because most self publishing resources are not written for entrepreneurs like us.
Most self publishing resources online are written for one of two kinds of writers:
- Fiction writers
- Get rich quick opportunists
My Problem with Many Self Published Books Today
Online marketplaces like Amazon have given us tremendous opportunity to self publish cheaply and quickly, however the quality of such books have become questionable. Take a few moments to check out any topic on Amazon and you will see what I mean. As a frequent buyer of Kindle books, I am astounded by what people buy:
- books that have no chapters or structure
- books that are nothing but carbon copies of blog posts with no additional supporting information
- books that are filled with opinions and not enough real facts
- book covers that look — well — amateur, at best…
- books that don’t have a story line that introduces who the author is or why we should care about their advice
When we publish books that are difficult to read and are lacking in credible information, we make it hard on ourselves and other entrepreneurs to be taken seriously as authors.
We are here, first and foremost, to serve. That means that we can no longer allow the publishing of a book that is less than worthy of our readers’ time and energy. Our readers deserve the very best of our experience, knowledge, and wisdom. Put some time and effort into your book and it will help you to grow your business in ways you never thought possible.
My intention for this site is to support you through the writing, publishing, and marketing of your books via
- Book Coaching and Consulting
- Content Marketing
- Sales Copywriting
Why Should You Listen to Me?
I’m a professional writer, editor, and book coach. I work with a variety of entrepreneurs on creating content strategy as well as polishing written works that include print books, ebooks, magazine articles, coaching workbooks, etc. Some of my clients have appeared on The Doctors, The Tom Joyner Morning Show, NPR, The Washington Post, and the almighty Oprah Winfrey Show.
I am the author of a series of health and wellness books, namely Loving My Fibroids Away: A 10-Day Detox Plan available on my women’s health site and Amazon. I am also creating a series of books called The B.O.S.S. Series (Business Owner’s Smart and Simple Series). The first book in the series is Planning, Writing, and Publishing Business Building Ebooks.
It was through the process of writing my first book that I discovered that I wanted a career in writing. After blogging about my struggle with food and fibroids for about a year, my global audience began to ask me about a book of resources and recipes they could do on their own. I announced that the book would be available in 3 weeks and took pre-orders just to test the waters to see if they were REALLY interested. That first night brought in about 20+ orders and the pressure was on. Once the book was complete, I had felt a sense of accomplishment I had never felt before.
10 Random Facts About Me
- My first name, Halona, was chosen by my mom from a baby book. It means FORTUNATE in the Zuni American Indian tribe. No, I am not Native American.
- I am proud to be a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer from Togo, West Africa, 2000-2002.
- I have done international development work in Mali, Ghana, and Burkina Faso.
- I was trained as a Health Coach at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, the world’s largest nutrition school.
- Even though I’m an advocate for healthy eating, my favorite junk foods are saltines and cranberry sauce from the can (gross, I know…).
- The most beautiful place I ever visited was Zion National Park in Utah. I’m planning a hiking trip there for 2015.
- I am a self-taught chef that teaches healthy eating. I have taught cooking classes at Whole Foods Market, New York City Public Schools, and in private homes.
- I’m a happy PhD dropout. I could no longer bear the thought of killing myself to complete a degree that will only bring me an extra one to two thousand dollars per year, plus an additional 10+ hours of work per week (especially when I was already working 50+ hours per week).
- I have a M.Ed. in International Education from the University of Massachusetts Center for International Education.
- My former career was spent supporting adults to learn how to read, complete a GED, go to college, and train for high paying careers. I did this for 12 years. I love it when my former students find me on Facebook to say, “Thank you!”